Sunday 23 December 2012


I AM WOMAN
By The lady in red

When I come into this world, you frown.
When I cry out for milk, you snort.
When I dare to dream, you laugh.
When I demand to live them, you crush me.
When you take me to “our” home, you suppress me.
When I fulfill all your wants, you hit me.
And when I bring you into this world, you hold on to me and demand the same milk you denied me.
Yet I smile and shower you with all my love.
I serve you with my soul and life.
And still all you could do is tear me apart?

Be it engineers, doctors, sales girls, dancers, actors or even the President of nations; we women have been making our mark in every field in this world. Whether it is lifting a gun and fighting at the borders of our nation or staying at home and feeding our family. Whether it is staying up till 6 in the morning to save a life in surgery or walking the ramp to showcase the work of a lady who has spent hours designing what the women in the workhouse have stitched. Right from milking the cows, to cultivating your food, to ensuring your very survival, we have been there for you. Yet all we get in return is a ransom you demand in order to accept us into your houses. You still want the government to provide you a cycle in order to educate me. You still want them give to give you money in order to bring me into this world. And even though I’m the reason you’re in this world, you will leave me malnourished.




STOP!
 Now! 
75% of the rapes in the country are carried out on salwar kameez clad women. Yet you say we don’t know how to dress? We provoke you? If as a child, my brother and I hit each other in play and father slapped me because I was wrong; it doesn’t give YOU the right to assault me. If I am with a man I love, it doesn’t mean I’m open to you! No! You cannot rape me in a moving bus to teach me a lesson! No Haryana Police! We don’t care if fast food aggravates men. It doesn’t give them the right to rape us!
I wish to go out of the house at 8 o clock in the night, wearing what I like and return home safely.
Don’t you dare tell me how to dress! 
Tell yourself to respect!
Tell yourself to change your sick mind! 
Tell yourself not to rape! YOU are taking away my right to security. 
YOU are taking away my right to life and liberty. And I will not take that. Because I am what you will never have the capacity or strength to be.
 I AM WOMAN.



3 comments:

  1. I totally agreeeee with this <3 <3 SO trueeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Enough is enough. We should be able to live our lives as we wish without having a constant fear over our heads.
    - Shreya Sengupta

    ReplyDelete